These include technical knowledge, written communication abilities, problem-solving skills for when things go wrong, or installing new devices properly onto servers. Working as a network engineer will give you the possibility to learn every day. A network research and development specialist will research different network protocols, methodologies, and services in order to incorporate the latest technologies and configure a superior network system. This network infrastructure allows users to connect and communicate with different computers and users within a wide demographic.
- This is performed for several devices, such as computers, servers, printers, and other wireless devices.
- And they have to be able to be flexible enough to work with both engineers and line-of-business colleagues who may not have any understanding of networking.
- For entry-level network engineer jobs, you’ll first need to get your bachelor’s degree in network engineering, information systems, IT, or computer engineering.
- The average network engineer salary in the USA is $71K – $101K and includes great benefits, healthcare, vacation, 401K matching, and sometimes equity offers in tech startups.
- Network Solutions Architect is the future buzzword in the field of network engineering.
- For example, cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai have a significantly higher average pay scale per year for the network engineer job position in comparison to cities like Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, and Indore.
In some cases, a network engineer may also focus heavily on network design and mapping, but many organizations hire a network architect to focus on that phase of network development. Network engineers balance the importance of security against the growing demand for faster, more efficient, flexible connectivity and computing. A network engineer must keep current with changing technologies, such as emerging fifth-generation cellular systems, when upgrading and optimizing a company’s network. Implementing these technologies can involve testing new processes and equipment, monitoring system performance, and completing training manuals for users. Companies rely on network engineers to protect enterprise networks from unplanned outages and security breaches. Programs like an online Master of Science in Cybersecurity can prepare professionals to fulfill vital roles as network engineers. These networks can include an organization’s phones, computers, routers, intranet, and extranet.
Network Engineers Career Growth and Salary
For example, network administrators typically don’t have master’s degrees, but in 2021 you might need an MSNE to become a network programmer or director of network windows network engineer engineering. You’ll almost certainly need one to become a Chief Network Architect or to make it past the first round of automated resume filters at theFAANG firms.
Other certifications are available from vendors and organizations such as Juniper Networks, Microsoft, Aruba, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise, Riverbed Technology, SolarWinds, HPE, Extreme Networks and the IPv6 Forum. In addition to technical skills, network engineers need analytical, leadership, organizational and communication skills.
Salary for a Network Engineer
In large organizations, network technicians often start in the position of network technician and rise to network management positions or other roles over time. These senior-level networking professionals earnas much as Chief Network Architectsbecause some employers treat network engineering directors as the top networking title. Directors and managers in network engineering oversee the teams of admins, engineers, and architects who design, configure, install, maintain, optimize and troubleshoot physical and cloud-based network infrastructure.